This week is July 4th and a great Holiday for family and friends to get together for some fun in the sun, and maybe even shoot some fireworks off. Every year during this Holiday there are hundreds of people injured, properties are damaged and most of it is related to the illegal or in proper use of fireworks. Most of us want to have fun on the 4th of July but want to do it safely, below are some tips to follow to ensure your safety and a great recipe for an appetizer cooked right on the grill.
July 4th Fireworks Safety
NY Strip w/Grilled Corn Salad Hoecake
- 1 - 14 ounce new york strip
- extra virgin olive oil
- blackened seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro (leaves left whole for garnish)
- 5 ears sweet corn (husk & hairs removed)
- 1 red bell pepper (small dice)
- 1 green bell pepper (small dice)
- 1 jalapeno (deseeded, small dice)
- 4 limes (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons blue agave nectar
- 5 tablespoons agave silver tequila
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 2 cups organic med-grind cornmeal
- 2 large eggs (whisked)
- 1 1/2 buttermilk
- 1/4 pound sharp white cheddar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 extra virgin olive oil
1.Salt, pepper & oil each ear of corn, grill over medium-high heat until toasted. Cut the corn from the ear mix the corn and all remaining ingredients from the corn salad together & refrigerate.
2.Add salt, blackening seasoning and oil to steak. Grill about 5-7 minutes on both sides, once the meat has reached about medium doneness, remove from heat and set aside to rest.
3.Mix all ingredients together for the hoe-cake and form small 1/4-inch discs, should make about 24.
4.Add oil to skillet or griddle (cast iron preferred) and cook hoe-cakes over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides, Set aside.
5.Put all ingredients from aioli in a blender and mix until the peppers are completely cut up. Put in a drizzle bottle
6.Once the meat has rested, take and slice on the bias into 24 thin slices.
7.Add a slice to each of the hoe-cakes. Top each one with a spoonful of corn salad. Drizzle the chipotle aioli over each piece.
8.Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.